Gum Disease Treatment with Arestin
Periodontal disease can be a serious infection under your gum line. If indicated, ARESTIN® (minocycline hydrochloride), an antibiotic, can be applied to areas of gum disease to help treat the infection.
- It’s placed directly in the infected area right after scaling.
- Arestin is effective in treating pockets between 4-6 mm that continue to bleed with flossing or probing.
- Arestin starts working quickly, right at the source of infection, and keeps fighting bacteria long after you leave the dental office. 1,2
- Arestin fights infection and inflammation for 30 days,2 and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planing alone for up to 90 days.3
1. Oringer RJ, Al-Shammari KF, Aldredge WA, et al. Effect of locally administered minocycline microspheres on markers of bone resorption. J Periodontol 2002;73:835-842.
2. Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
3. Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.